Posted on July 24 2016
Serotonin, 5-hydroxytrptamine (5-HT) is a monoamine neurotransmitter. In more simple terms, it is known as the happiness hormone. It is common that many individuals suffer from low Serotonin deficiency. Some symptoms of Serotonin deficiency include anxiety, fatigue, impatience, negative thoughts, mood swings, insomnia and sadness. On the bright side, there are many ways to increase serotonin levels without measuring them, and who doesn’t want to feel happy? Here are 5 ways to get you on the path to feeling happier and healthier:
- Go Outside! Fresh air can do wonders for the body. The expression “take a breather” exists for a reason. Studies show that exposure to fresh air has been proven to increase serotonin levels in the body.
- Exercise! Exercise is a natural mood stimulator. Just a light 15-30 minute walk or jog will release serotonin in the body and make you feel calm and happy.
- Eat Healthy! Fruits, veggies and lean protein can assist in increasing serotonin levels. Contrary to popular belief, carbohydrates can also help in increasing serotonin; just not too much. Also, avoid indulging in too much sugar.
- Get a Massage! It is the perfect stress reliever. It will also improve your sleep, which in turn, helps your serotonin levels.
- Take 5-HTP! 5-HTP supplements are used to assist with the production of more serotonin in the body. As a bonus, it will also help you manage and lose weight! It is also beneficial for the skin. This will certainly make anyone happy!